The Norman Transcript
April 22, 1991
Clara Ann Harris, 85, of Norman, died at a local nursing home on
Sunday, April 21, after an extended illness.
Services are scheduled for 2 p.m. Tuesday at Mayes Chapel of
Remembrance, with the Rev. George Martin officiating. Burial will be
in Warren Cemetery, under the direction of Mayes Funeral Directors.
The daughter of Thomas William and Annie Clara Stephens Moore,
she was born May 31, 1905, at Sugden, near Marlow. The family
moved to Norman six months later. A graduate of Norman High
School, she earned her bachelor and master degrees in history from
the University of Oklahoma, later returning to OU to complete her
master degree in library science during 1959. She married John W.
Harris at Norman on June 6, 1928.
From 1926-56, she taught school at Tipton and Childress, Texas.
She left Tipton in 1956 to return to Norman, where she taught English
at Central Junior High. From 1959 until her retirement in 1970,
she served as the school librarian.
A founding member of McFarlin Memorial United Methodist Church,
Mrs. Harris was a member of United Methodist Women and Retired
Teacher's association. Previously active in the Oklahoma and National
Education Associations, Mrs. Harris was also a member of the Norman
Hospitality Committee for International Students and was instrumental
in the founding of the Internation Alumni Association during 1975.
Preceded in death by her husband, John, during 1980, a sister and
five brothers, Mrs. Harris is survived by her daughter, Elinor Ann of
Dr. Robert St. John, Joe Blake, Ernest Grotefend, Robert Pendarvis,
Robert Goodpasture and Dr. Harold Huneke will serve as bearers.
The family has suggested the Clara Harris Memorial Fund, c/o City
National Bank of Norman, as appropriate for memorial contributions.